Thursday, August 18, 2011

When all else fails, decorate with it!



If you know me well at all, you know that I have been struggling with what to put on the top of my cabinets FOREVER!
They have caused quite a bit of sweat and tears (literally) on my part.  I don't know about you, but I find this space so awkward.  In my next house the cabinets are going to the ceiling so then I won't have to worry about it.
Well, I think I have found a temporary solution.  My husband and I try to collect different alcohol bottles when we go on vacation.  I don't know what my obsession is with pretty bottles...but whatever.  We have collected so many over the years that I am now running out of room on my normal "pretty bottle" shelf.  There are some that are my absolute favorites and I hate that they are hidden in my pantry on the top shelf.
LIGHT BULB!  Why don't I display them on top of my cabinets?  I gathered my favorite bottles and arranged them on top of the largest cabinet.  At first I wasn't sold on the idea because it looked like we were more like alcoholics than just collectors.
With a few "pretty" decorations, I think I balanced the space out and helped it look more like it was supposed to be there instead of like we just ran out of room in our pantry!
I LOVE the wooden plaque in the back...even though it is hard to read.  I picture it being from a wonderful little fish market on Martha's Vineyard.  A girl can dream!  My husband didn't really get it and asked when we started serving clam chowder.  Of course I just rolled my eyes and told him to keep his comments to himself.  The basket, plant and jug were something I had laying around the house. 

I just love the wooden plaque, don't you?

 To balance out the cupboards I add more feminine elements to the other side.  I don't know if I am completely sold on this side, but it will do for now.


  

I guess I can change the sign from Spring to Fall since summer is slipping away from us.




1 comment:

April said...

I have the same problem with this space, and what makes it worse is that my upstairs hallway/loft looks over the kitchen with a half wall, hard to explain but basically the tops of my cabinets sit on the other side of this half wall, and they dont have finished tops. What did you put on top of your cabinets under your decorative pieces?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...